If you feel like you need a fresh, light salad recipe after eating heavy holiday fare, try this for lunch this week! It’s refreshing and healthy but still filling.
You can use fresh or frozen corn kernels in this recipe.
It’s set up to be a “make-ahead meal” in mason jars, but you can serve it family-style, too.
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup (140 grams) dry quinoa, rinsed
- 4 handfuls baby spinach, washed
- 1 15 oz (425 grams) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (300 grams) grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 yellow or orange bell peppers, sliced and diced
- 1 cup (150 grams) corn kernels
- ½ cup (55 grams) toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 cup (60 grams) cilantro, chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp each sea salt and chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Prepare quinoa according to package directions, making sure to rinse the quinoa before cooking. Let cool.
While it cools, prepare the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blending until smooth.
Divide the cooled quinoa evenly between 4 medium mason jars. Divide the dressing into four equal portions and pour into the jars, stirring lightly to incorporate into quinoa.
Place equal amounts of spinach, black beans, tomato, bell pepper, and corn into each of the jars. Seal with a lid and refrigerate for up to 4 days. When ready to serve, pour the salad into a bowl and top with the pecans.